Make Safety the First Item on Your List this Holiday Season
The Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) offers the following tips to help keep you and your family safe from electrical hazards when buying and installing holiday lighting and decorations.
Light up safely over the holidays:
- Choose the right light for the job: light strings and other decorations are rated for indoor or outdoor use. Read the package instructions, and never exceed the recommended wattage.
- Replace damaged electrical products (cords, plugs, ornaments).
- Avoid plugging too many lights and decorations into an outlet. Overloaded circuits can overheat and start a fire.
- Use Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI) outlets when plugging in outdoors
- Buy holiday decorations that have the mark of an accredited certification agency on the package.
- Once the package is opened, remember to check for the appropriate approval sticker appearing on the cord for products incorporating light strings.
Click here for more holiday safety tips from the Electrical Safety Authority Ontario.